Monday 6 October 2008

Oktoberfest, the King of all beer festivals...

I just spent the weekend with Gabe, Liz and Gary in Munich in Germany where we went to the annual Oktoberfest. This is the place where you drink out of 1 litre Steins (massive glasses) and a huge number of locals and some tourists dress in lederhosen (leather shorts) or the traditional dress for women.

Gary and I made an early start when our flight via Zurich in Switzerland was delayed and we missed the connecting flight. With 2 vouchers for 10 Swiss Francs (enough for a pint and a half each) we hit the bar to sample some Swiss beer...for comparison purposes only of course. We made it to Munich where we met Gabe and Liz and headed in to the festival. There we bumped in to some old Uni mates was great fun and we got down to the task of sampling beer.

The next morning, after proving that people who say that German beer doesnt give you a hangover dont know what they are talking about, we saddled up again and went to the festival. The weather was foul and being late (11am) we couldnt get in to any tents. So we made do and drank outside. We met up with a couple of my rugby mates which was also great fun and next thing we knew it was about midnight and we were riding dodgem cars and it was time to go home.

With the hangover theory once again disproved, Gary, Liz and I headed in to town and Gabe had a rest. The main reason for Gabe's non attendance was because he had sustained a swollen head when he fell on it the night before. For reasons I dont think anyone can remember, we all started running after each other along a metal walkway. I felt someting clip my foot as I was running at full pace and I looked over my shoulder to see Gabe landing on his face on the ground! After a few seconds of concern Gary and I proceeded to laugh at Gabe hysterically and we kept on giggling all day!

Anyhow this time we went in to one of the tents called the Hippodrome. We sat with some Dutch guys and eventually some Germans and we sung songs and said cheers about 100 times. Soon the casualties started to fall with Gary sucumbing first, followed by Liz. I stayed on and chatted to my new Dutch and German friends. Eventually I too gave up and headed back to the hotel where I met Gabe and Liz for yet another beer (there is a trend here - my mother will not be impressed...) and a schnitzel. I cant wait for next year!!

No comments: